Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Japanese Conversation Table Update

Well, the Thursday 1-3pm time for the Japanese Conversation Table didn't seem to work for many students... since nobody showed up. We will continue to keep that time available if it works for at least some of you, so please let me know if you are able and plan to attend. Some students have also expressed interest in Friday mornings, so I have reserved a room on Friday mornings from 9:30-11:30 as well. Once again, please contact me if you think you will be attending. Just to recap, our current schedule for the Japanese Conversation Table is as follows:

Thursdays 1-3pm, MAK B-2-226
Fridays, 9:30-1130am, MAK B-2-241

In addition, I have received the following information from John Grimminck, a student interested in setting up a virtual conversation table via Skype on Wednesday evenings. Please contact him directly if you are interested.

皆さんこんにちは、
Have you been interested in the Japanese Round Table Discussion but can't make it to the meetings? Looking for a more dynamic option? Starting Wednesday the 16th, at about 7 p.m., I will host the first Internet Japanese Round Table Discussion (I.J.R.T.D?). These sessions will follow the same format as the standard J.R.T.D. sessions, and will last until people decide to leave. In general, I think that half an hour to an hour would be decent, but if people decide to bow out early, that's fine. I am not sure if I will do these weekly or bi-weekly, so I would encourage people to add each other to your own contact list. This way, if you want to do this weekly for certain, you will have that ability to host a session without me.

The idea behind these internet sessions, besides improving your Japanese, is flexibility. If you can't do Wednesdays, setting up another time would be fantastic. Evenings tend to be when people are the most available it seems. Working in this fashion also means that anyone can get together pretty much whenever they choose, and we don't have to rely on one host. During the first session, I would recommend that everyone start adding each other to their contacts list.

Since this is internet based, expect some technical issues. Skype is supposed to be able to host up to 25 people at once, but expect dropped calls, static, and weird background noises.

All you will need for these sessions is Skype and a cheap microphone. I would recommend a USB headset microphone. It will make it easier for you to hear people, as well as having the ability to adjust your microphone if it's too far/close from/to your mouth.
Once you have downloaded Skype, add rainartxiii to your contact list. I'll look forward to being confused with all of you about what everyone else is saying.

-ジョン・ごりミック

1 comment:

Pat Taylor said...

I can attend most Friday meetings, although this coming week I won't be able to. Also, I dropped the class that I had from 1-2:15 on Tues/Thurs so I can come to that time now.

Pat Taylor